Skip to main content

Chasing the Waves of Baler: Beach Break Surfing School



Since it is already "ber" months, and waves are getting bigger and bigger, instead of posting my first travel article about somewhere North of Luzon, let me firsthand share my surfing experience, so as to commend the people behind our (me and my buddies) success being a wave rider, even just for a wink of an eye. (Hehehehehe!)



Yes. It was our first time.
Yes. It was scary, coz the waves are too big you can even feel them smashing the dalampasigan.

No. I don't know how to swim properly. Just a swim swim. (Hahahaha!)

But YES, I WAS READY TO FACE THE CHALLENGE.
And YES, I CONQUERED THE WAVES!

If you're gonna stroll on the baywalk/white bridge in Sabang beach, you'll see a lot of surfing instructors from point to point, that'll offer you surfing lessons with discounts because normally, its gonna cost you 350php per hour but some will give it for 300php per hour, there's even this 1 young instructor who offered us free drinks. Cute. :)

I highly recommend BEACH BREAK surfing school not only because we had our lessons their, but because they've got very friendly instructors, who will be watching your back all throughout the lesson, from the moment you take them as your instructor, until that moment when you need to remove the cuff from your leg because the session's already over.


That's kuya Don, with my buddy Joy. Since she's an inborn haggler (I think. Hahaha), she made an all or nothing deal with Kuya Don.

"Kuya, kapag nakatayo ako sa surfboard, babayaran kita, pero pag di ako nakatayo, libre na"

To which Kuya Don answered: "Sige mam, walang problema!"

So the surfing lesson began.



On the first few attempts, she kept on falling from the board, but Kuya Don was just too patient, so the lesson continues until..........


Tadaaaahh! She made it! 
Mind you buddies, while she was riding the waves, you can hear her shouting from East to West. Hahaha! 
Plus, kuya's co-instructors were clapping their hearts out.

Next, meet Kuya Barok.


He's the one who taught my cousin-slash-soul sister, and we also offered the all or nothing deal with him and he also agreed to it.


Photos of her I just grabbed from her facebook without permission. (Mehehehehe!) And by the looks of it, just like Joy, she learned how to fly. Haha!
But then, 


Tadaaaaahhhh as welllllll!
She made it too! 
Though I think this shot is a bit awkward. Is she trying to drift on the waves? Or is she on the verge of falling? Hehehe. Nah! Whatevs. What matters the most is the fact that she was able to withstand the waves, knowing she's afraid of the ocean. 

Hooray to the 2 of you!
And good job, mga kuyas!

You might be wondering where my pictures are.
Well, they were all gone. Too sad, I even cried a river when I got to know they were gone. :'(

But, to tell you how I did it, inspite of my overweighted body, here it is:

My instructor was Kuya Don and I also asked him for the all or nothing deal coz i've got a feeling that I can't make it, and he agreed BUT with a major revision, if i'm able to stand, i'm gonna pay him, but if not, i need to pay him twice the amount. Woaaah? No, he said it was just a joke. Hehehe..

Since I cannot push myself up to the surfing position, he just taught me how to do it from the sitting/squatting position.

It's funny coz everyone around me's doing the right procedure and i'm the only one doing it that way, but it can't  be helped.

I fell on my knees a lot of times, but after a few tries, and a bit of rest, I was able to make it as well. You might not believe me coz I don't have a proof, but I swear, I was able to make it! I did it! 

And so, we were all happy, and tired, after the surfing lesson. I'm also glad that we've chosen them to be our instructors coz like what I said earlier, they really are nice and won't leave you.

Also, Kuya Don gave me some pieces of advice:

-I must lessen my weight. Hahaha!
-If I wanna be a good surfer, I must practice atleast 3 times a week
-If you think the instructor is not doing his job properly, you can always ask for another one coz it is your right, and your safety is their responsibility
-FOCUS. When riding the board, just focus on what you can see ahead of you, not on the water beneath the board, nor on the gushing waves at your back because you will surely fall

I think this post is quite long for just a recommendation, but I can't stop myself from sharing that experience i've had coz it was truly fun.

So buddies, please don't forget, BEACH BREAK SURFING SCHOOL, they're located along the baywalk/white bridge, in front of DESIREE'S LODGE. (It's actually the back of the lodge)
But if you're at the actual front of Desiree's lodge, where the front gate is, you'll see BBSS at the back, just beside their back gate.


This is their mini booth and i'm the chubby one. Hehehe!
I'm just glad no one from them asked me if i'm pregnant, coz i'm not. Hahaha!


And this is their price list.
[Same photo as above]

Alright! Just enjoy your lesson and don't be afraid of the waves coz you need them if you wanna enjoy the real essence of surfing.


Meow! Meow!
Til my next post. Coming up next!








Popular posts from this blog

All About Anime: FAIRY TAIL

FAIRY TAIL !! Before, I never thought that I would enjoy watching anime. All I know about anime is, they're just a bunch of action-packed type of cartoons with some illusory magics and images, so I never tried to spend time in knowing it (anime) more.

Faith & Mountains

Being a christian is not easy. Yes, it really isn't. Everyone around you tends to watch every move you make, and what makes it much harder is when they just keep an eye on you just to wait for your flaw, and boom, when you finally had a mistake, they'll turn it into a mountain, when in fact, it's just as small as a mustard seed.

I'm MOVING ...

Hi buddies! I know, and as you can see on my description box, I've said before that this will be my blog from 2015 onwards but we all know that change is constant, and it actually invaded my decision of keeping this blog. I have fully decided to move to a different host because of some technical reasons, though I would still consider blogspot/blogger since this has the easiest navigation system,may it be by desktop or by mobile. As of now, I'm currently transferring my posts to my new home but I will not delete it from here. I'll just keep this blog as it is because I believe this already created some traffic/audience. I think? Hahaha! But yeah, i'll keep this blog as it is. I will be posting my new blog's URL once we're (me and the new blog) done with the process of getting to know each other. LOL! Most definitely, it will be fully updated by the second of January 2016, once my blog turns 2. Weeehh! Alrighty! This is it for now. Follow me on Instagram